This mayo-free Broccoli Slaw with Garlic Tahini Dressing is the perfect side for your next barbecue or picnic! It’s super versatile – try it on sandwiches, wraps and avocado toast, too!
I dug my sandals out from the back of the closet and slipped them on. It’s a good thing I had a fresh pedi — for the first time in forever, my feet were not hiding in boots or socks. The sun was out, and it was a perfect day to visit the nursery.
All we needed were some hanging plants for the patio, but I was drawn to the vegetables and herbs. Could this be the year we finally install a vegetable garden? I know, this happens every year, and last year we managed to grow some herbs and one potato. Maybe this year will be different!
Maybe we should plant some broccoli? It’s definitely one of the kids’ favorites, florets, stems and all. Between you and me, I feel like the stems are sorely overlooked, which is a shame because they’re so crunchy and versatile.
Finely chopped, they’re delicious in this Broccoli Slaw with Garlic Tahini Dressing. Between the cruciferous crunch and a mayo-free dressing that gets its creaminess from nutty tahini, you’ve got the perfect side for your next barbecue! It’s also amazing with wraps and avocado toast for lunch, or packed in a picnic!
Better yet, I’m happy to report that the kids loved it, including the exchange student we are hosting from France! I was thrilled to see them go in for second and thirds!
So tell me, is it slaw and sandal season for you yet?
Broccoli Slaw with Garlic Tahini Dressing
- 5 cups shredded broccoli
- 1 cup shredded carrot
- 1 cup sunflower seeds
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 3 cloves garlic grated
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil extra virgin
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2-3 tablespoons water as needed
- kosher salt to taste
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Mix the broccoli, carrot, sunflower and sesame seeds in a bowl. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the tahini, garlic, lemon juice, vinegar, olive oil, and cayenne pepper. Starting with 1 tablespoon of water, add the water to obtain a creamy consistency to your liking, you may need more or less. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Depending on your tahini, you may want to add more acidity.
- Stir the dressing into the broccoli slaw and chill until ready to serve.