Buttermilk Pumpkin Bread
- 3 cups flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 3 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoons nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans or walnuts (optional)
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 2 eggs
- 8 oz fresh or canned unsweetened pumpkin puree
- 2 very ripe bananas
- 1 cup buttermilk (or substitute 1 cup milk with juice of one lemon)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare two 9-inch loaf pans by buttering and lining with parchment paper.
In a medium bowl, sift or whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, ground cloves, and salt. Add nuts if using, then set aside. In a the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream sugar and butter. Mix in eggs, one at a time, then add the pumpkin and bananas. Add flour mixture and buttermilk, alternating until incorporated. Try to end with the dry ingredient addition, and be sure not to over mix.
Bake in buttered loaf pans for 45 minutes to one hour or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Transfer to a wire rack to cool.