Savory Sourdough Bread Pudding
- 1 16-oz loaf of sourdough country-style bread
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 teaspoons dried thyme
- 3 large garlic cloves, minced
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1 lb assorted fresh mushrooms
- 1 1/2 cups finely sliced leeks
- 1 1/2 cups thinly sliced celery
- 1 cup finely chopped green bell pepper
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 6 oz smoked chicken and apple sausage, diced in 1/4 inch pieces
- 3 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 8 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter a baking dish and set aside.
Cut off the ends and the bottom crust of the loaf of sourdough and discard. Slice what is left of the loaf into 1-inch cubes and place in a large bowl. Toss with olive oil, thyme and minced garlic. Spread on a rimmed baking sheet covered with foil and bake in the oven for about 20 minutes, until the bread is golden brown. Place the bread cubes back into the bowl
Heat a large sauté pan over medium heat. Melt the butter in the pan, then add the mushrooms, leeks, celery and bell pepper. Season lightly with salt and pepper. Cook until the mushrooms and vegetables are wilted. Add the sausage. Continue to cook until the juices have evaporated. Add the sautéed vegetables to the bread, along with the parsley, and toss.
Whisk the heavy cream, eggs, salt and pepper together. Mix the egg custard mixture into the bread and combine. Pour into the buttered baking dish and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
Reduce the oven temperature to 350°F. Bake the bread pudding uncovered for about 1 hour. The top should be golden brown. Let it stand 15 minutes prior to serving.