Fettuccine with Chicken Sausage, Kale and Cannellini Beans has everything you need, whether for pasta night or last-minute entertaining!
Created with De Cecco
They say that pasta is making a comeback. Who is they? Well, the folks at Google, for one. Not that it matters at my house – pasta has, and always will be, on trend. For us, a pasta comeback just means the love for pasta remains strong.
In an age where every day seems to have a designated hashtag (#TacoTuesday? #MeatlessMonday?), I’m pretty sure that if one of the days of the week started with the letter P, then pasta would have it’s own day. So, maybe we should start #PastaPunday (Funday?)…and we could celebrate every day!
Silly puns aside, pasta is one of my go-tos when I am dreaming up dinner, and we eat it once a week. Sometimes more. It’s the kind of thing you can always count on if you have a supply of pasta in the pantry – it lends itself to nearly anything you have on hand in the refrigerator, making it perfect for those busy weeknights, or those moments with you – surprise! – have to unexpectedly entertain.
If you remember, I personally love De Cecco pasta for the premium texture and flavor that comes from its over 130-year old family recipe. It always has the perfect “bite” — even if I get distracted in the kitchen and let it cook an extra minute or two because the pasta is made exclusively with durum semolina, which is different from flour used in mainstream pasta. I’m so excited to bring you another recipe that my family loves twirling their forks into.
This Fettuccine with Chicken Sausage, Kale and Cannellini Beans makes use of my other kitchen staples — I love having chicken sausage on hand for weeknight meals, and of course, there’s always kale in the refrigerator and beans in the pantry. A quick sizzle in the pan browns the sausage, which adds a hearty, smoky flavor to kale and beans, making this a one-skillet meal perfect for any day of the week, hashtag or not.
Disclosure: This post is brought to you in partnership by De Cecco. Thank you for supporting brands that matter to me; sponsored posts such as this help behind the scenes at Kitchen Confidante. All opinions in this post are, as always, my own.
More delicious pasta recipes to twirl your fork into:
Kale and Shrimp Scampi
Linguine with Clams in Sake Red Chili Sauce
Spaghetti with Chicken Sausage and Lentil Bolognese
Fettuccine with Creamy Spinach Sauce, Asparagus and Peas
Spaghetti with Fresh Tomato Basil Sauce
Fettuccine with Chicken Sausage, Kale and Cannellini Beans
- 1 pound De Cecco Fettuccine pasta
- 2 tablespoons olive oil plus extra for drizzling
- 1 pound chicken sausage
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter (1/2 stick)
- 1 cup yellow onion thinly sliced (about 1/2 medium onion)
- 4 cloves minced garlic
- 3 cups kale chopped
- Kosher salt
- black pepper freshly ground
- 1 can (15 oz) cannellini beans
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 cup parmesan grated, plus more for serving
- Bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Cook the pasta until al dente, then drain.
- While the pasta is cooking, heat the olive oil in a deep-sided skillet over medium heat. Add the sausage to the skillet, and cook for about 7 minutes, or until it is brown on all sides. Set aside on a cutting board to rest.
- Add the butter to the skillet and lower the heat. Add the onions and sauté for 3-5 minutes, then add garlic, and cook for about 30 seconds more. Stir in the kale and season lightly with salt and pepper.
- While the kale wilts, slice the sausages into 1 inch pieces and add to the skillet, along with the cannellini beans.
- Add the pasta to the skillet, along with about 1/2 cup of the chicken broth and the grated Parmesan. If the pasta needs a little more sauce, add a little more chicken broth.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve immediately with grated Parmesan on the side.