Grilled Mahi Mahi with Onions and Capers
- 3/4 lb mahi mahi, skin on, halved
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 medium yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup capers (about 1 ounce)
- 1/2 lemon, sliced in wedges
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- Preheat the grill to medium high heat.
- Using 1 tablespoon of olive oil, brush the fish on both side with the oil and season generously with salt and pepper.
- Place the fish skin side down on the grill and cook, covered, for about 8-10 minutes.
- While the fish cooks, heat the remaining olive oil in a pan over medium heat.
- Add the onion, season with a little salt and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions have wilted, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the water and cook for another minute more.
- Add the butter, capers and lemon slices. Stir as the butter melts, then set aside, keeping warm.
- Place the mahi mahi on a serving plate, top with the onion and caper sauce and garnish with cilantro.
- Serve immediately with any remaining sauce on the side.
This recipe can also be prepared in the broiler or pan seared on the stove.
To broil: Preheat broiler. Place fish skin side down on a broiler pan and broil for about 8-10 minutes.
To pan-sear: Preheat a lightly oiled skillet on medium-high heat. Place fish skin side down and cook for about 5 minutes. Flip and cook for about another 5 minutes more.