Mixed Berry Streusel Muffins are filled with summer’s fresh berries and a crumbly topping of sweet streusel. Use your favorite berries for this easy muffin recipe!
This post first appeared on June 18, 2013 and featured on Wayfair.com. I hope you enjoy this favorite from my kitchen!
I’m a creature of habit, some of the time. Which is puzzling, because there is a side of me that loves spontaneity and adventure. If it means following a whim and taking off for a trip without too much notice, I am all for it.
If it means riding a donkey on a steep and rocky hillside, count me in. Parasailing? Awesome. But rearrange the furniture? I cringe inside.
We are just a few days into the children’s summer vacation, and today was the first Monday they had off. My usual routine of waking to beat my 6 am alarm, to review emails and messages in the quiet of the morning, and the mad rush to coax everyone to dress and eat breakfast before school were shelved.
It felt strange, not having my usual drill. I felt guilty allowing myself a more leisurely pace. I told myself going in that I would savor their time off, give myself an excuse to perhaps slow down, too. I feel a little crazy for missing a more chaotic routine.
We did rise early over the weekend, though, to head over the bridge to our favorite farmer’s market at the Ferry Building. The promise of stone fruit and figs and sweet berries lured us out of bed.
Well, at least, it coaxed my husband and I to rise early. The children needed a little more convincing. But once we were at the market, the whining ceased. The bounty of summer cheered them up as they sampled and selected the best pluots, the fuzziest peaches, and the plumpest blueberries.
It’s easy to go a little crazy at the markets when the fruit is this good. If you’re like me and have a little more berries than you can handle, these Mixed Berry Streusel Muffins are a delicious way to enjoy your market haul. If every weekend were full of these sweet gems, this is a morning routine I can definitely get used to. Find the recipe below or on Wayfair.com.
More Muffin Recipes
Mixed Berry Streusel Muffins
For the Muffins:
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 4 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1 stick unsalted butter, melted (8 tablespoons)
- zest of 1 lemon
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups assorted berries I used 1 cup blueberries & 1 cup raspberries
For the Streusel:
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter cut into small cubes
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Prepare two muffin pans by lining with baking cups.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugars, baking powder, baking soda and salt. In another bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, melted butter, lemon zest and eggs. Stir the liquid ingredients into the flour mixture until just combined. Fold in the berries.
- Evenly distribute the batter into your prepared muffin tins (a standard sized ice cream scoop is perfect for this). Prepare the streusel by combining the ingredients in a food processor or with a pastry cutter until it is crumbly in texture. Using your fingers, press the crumbs together to make larger clumps. Sprinkle on top of the muffins.
- Bake for about 20 minutes or until golden brown and an inserted toothpick comes out clean. Enjoy immediately.