- banana leaves (optional) or parchment paper
- coconut oil or cooking spray
- 1 cup sweet rice flour (glutinous)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 13.5 oz can of coconut milk (gata)
- 1 14 oz can of condensed milk
- 1/4 cup canned ube (purple yam), drained
- 1/4 cup langka (jackfruit), canned or jarred, drained
- violet and yellow food coloring (If the idea of this bothers you, consider these vegetable based, natural food colorings. They are pricey, but might be worth it!)
- coconut sugar, for topping (see recipe below)
A blender helps to achieve a smooth batter, however, if you do not have one, a whisk and some arm power will do just fine. You will also need a large pot/wok/steamer.
Prepare a dish (I used a spring-form pan) by lining the bottoms and sides with banana leaves or parchment paper. Brush lightly with coconut or canola oil, or spray lightly with cooking spray.
Whisk together rice flour and sugar. Add to coconut milk and condensed milk and blend (or whisk well) until smooth. Divide into three portions, about 1 1/3 cup each. Leave one portion white. Take the second portion and blend in the ube and a few drops of violet food coloring until you achieve a rich purple color. Take the third portion and do the same with the langka and yellow food coloring.
Prepare a steamer and set water to boil.
Beginning with the purple ube batter, pour into prepared pan/dish. Carefully place into the steamer and cover. Steam for about 30 minutes, or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean. Pour the yellow langka layer and steam for another 30 minutes or until set. Finally, pour the final white layer and steam 30 minutes or until set.
Carefully remove the Sapin-Sapin from the steamer and allow to cool completely. Chill in the refrigerator until ready to serve. Slice in wedges (or use a round cutter as I have), and serve with coconut sugar.
- 1 cup coconut flakes
- 4 tablespoons sugar (to taste)
In a skillet over medium low heat, toast coconut flakes until just golden brown, stirring frequently. Add sugar and stir till you reach desired color.