The Christmas tree came down today. Oh, my friends, it makes me sad, but I’m grateful for the time we had together. And I’m especially grateful that my husband let me keep it up as long as we possibly could (considering the holiday tree garbage pick up schedule and all).
In years past he’s been known to take down decorations the day after Christmas, and I’ll never let him forget that he landed in the ER that day he slipped on the Christmas bins in the garage, and how the entire ER staff basically told him it served him right for being a Scrooge. I think it left an impression on him. Either that or he’s been super sweet because he knows how much it means to me to keep the tree up as long as possible.
But I do know that once the ornaments and garland are stowed away until next year, and the house returned to normal, that I will breathe a sigh of relief. As much as I love Christmas, it will be good to get things back to normal again.
Normal. Who’s ready for that? Before we say farewell to another year, we need a toast, and why not one that still sneaks in some holiday red and green? We’ve been loving this Cranberry Pomegranate Mojito during this holiday break, and if you feel toasting with something different than bubbly for the New Year, I’d say this holiday cocktail is festive and ready for fun!
I raise my glass to you, another wonderful year together, and to an exciting year ahead. May 2019 bring you joy!
Cranberry Pomegranate Mojito
For the Cranberry-Mint Simple Syrup:
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cranberries
- 2 sprigs mint
For the Cocktail:
- 11 mint leaves plus more for garnish
- 3 lime wedges
- 3 tablespoons Mint Simple Syrup
- 1 cup cranberry pomegranate juice
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 6 ounces light rum
- 3 cups ice cubes
- 1 cup ginger ale
- cranberries for garnish
- pomegranate arils for garnish
- lime slices for garnish
- mint for garnish
Make the Mint Simple Syrup:
- Combine water and sugar in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil, stirring the sugar to dissolve. Add the cranberries, lower heat, cover and simmer for about 5 minutes. Turn off heat, drop in the mint leaves. Let it cool in the refrigerator. Strain.
Make the Cocktail:
- In a pitcher or tall glass, muddle the mint, lime, and simple syrup. Stir in the cranberry pomegranate juice, lime juice, and rum. Add the ice and top with ginger ale. Stir again, and garnish with mint and kiwi. Cheers!