This Summer Corn and Barley Salad recipe is packed with flavor and summer’s sweet corn, tomatoes, avocados, and fresh basil. The barley rounds it out for an extremely healthy and fiber rich salad, making it the perfect side to any summer meal.
I’m at that point in the summer when I look at the calendar and start to wonder, “Have I done enough?” I’ve settled into summer and am used to it, the children and I are following an easier rhythm to the week, but I always get a little anxious around this time.
Has it been fun enough? Have we seized every opportunity to enjoy this time together? How many more days do we have left until it’s time to start thinking of backpacks and new shoes and packing lunches? Will this be a memorable summer for my son and daughter?
To a degree, some of this comes from pressure, both internal and external. You see the summer bucket lists, and truthfully, I have a modest one as well. But I always find that the end of summer arrives and more than half of my brilliant summer plans go unrealized. And each summer I hope and promise myself that this will be the summer I change all that.
I suppose it’s good to have a mid-summer wake up call. I need to remember to make the most of every moment, especially the small moments. Like dinner time.
I’ve taken to muting my cell phone, hoping to dim the distraction. I want as much as possible to make dinner all about my family. I’m making it a point to sit down with the kids at lunch, rather than hovering at the kitchen counter, chopping fruit and acting as their chef and waitress, while they sit together at the table.
And while I’m at it, I am going to savor all the summer produce while it lasts. The corn has been so good lately, have you noticed?
I’ve made batches and batches of this Summer Corn and Barley Salad the last couple of weeks. Barley has been always been a favorite in soups, but I loved experimenting with it in my salads. It’s got a lovely texture, like faro, and in some ways, this is like a hearty tabbouleh.
Barley, it turns out, is a powerhouse in the fiber department, so this salad, full of sweet summer corn, avocados, fresh basil, sharp feta and of course, tomatoes, is my ideal salad. I love it with grilled halibut or chicken; it makes for a flavorful and simple summer meal.
I hope you try this. Make a big batch, it’s even better the following day. And think of the time you’ll save with meal prep when you have this for leftovers! There’ll be more time for some summer fun.
More Summer Salad Recipes
Summer Corn and Barley Salad
- 2 ears corn
- 1 cup cooked barley chilled
- 1/2 cup red onion finely diced
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes halved
- 1 avocado seed and skin removed, diced
- 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon garlic minced
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons chopped basil
- 1/2 cup feta cheese crumbled
- Steam or boil corn for about 20-22 minutes. Place cooked corn into an ice bath, then cut the kernels off the cob. Place the corn kernels, barley, onion, tomatoes and avocado into a large bowl.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the sherry vinegar, olive oil and garlic. Drizzle over the salad, season with the salt and pepper to taste, and toss. Add the feta cheese and gently mix again. Store in a tightly sealed container in the refrigerator until ready to serve.