Summer Lentil Salad
Make the most of heirloom tomatoes and cool, crunchy cucumbers in this Summer Lentil Salad. It pairs beautifully with a flavorful roast chicken, grilled steak, simple fish – almost anything! And with hearty lentils, it is wonderful as a vegetarian main dish, as well.
Make the most of heirloom tomatoes and cool, crunchy cucumbers in this Summer Lentil Salad. It pairs beautifully with a flavorful roast chicken, grilled steak, simple fish – almost anything! And of course, with hearty lentils, it is wonderful as a vegetarian main dish, as well.
In the days that follow the July 4th holiday, the sweltering summer days beg for something cool and refreshing, and our over-indulged stomachs yearn for something light and crunchy. The weekend marathon of grilling mountains of meats, the helpings of pie, and the many glasses of wine come to a much needed end. It is time to focus on eating cleanly again.
To focus on true summer tastes. To appreciate the sweetness and unique beauty of that heirloom tomato. The cool, refreshing crunch of a cucumber.
This Summer Lentil Salad has everything I could want in a salad: the crunch of the cucumber, the bursts of sweetness from the tomato, tangy nuggets of crumbled feta cheese, and the refreshing zing of mint. Supporting these flavors are tiny bites of lentils, dressed in a perfect white balsamic dressing. This salad compliments so many main dishes, but to be honest, one bowlful is so wholesome and perfect for a lunch…all by itself.
If this Summer Lentil Salad has you hungry for more summer recipes, don’t miss these!
Lentil Stuffed Summer Squash
Fig and Apricot Summer Lentil Salad
Summer Wheat Berry Salad with Stone Fruits and Goat Cheese
Summer Corn and Barley Salad
Summer Corn and Nectarine Tabbouleh
Note: This recipe first appeared July 8, 2011. The recipe has been updated from the archives with updated photographs, as well as improved kitchen notes and recipe annotation. I hope you enjoy this favorite from my kitchen.
Disclosure: There may be affiliate links in the post, see my Disclosure page for more details.
Summer Lentil Salad
- 2 tablespoons white balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 scallions finely chopped
- 2 cups cooked lentils
- 2 cups peeled and cubed English cucumber
- 1 cup halved cherry tomatoes
- 1 shallot finely chopped
- 1/2 cup feta cheese crumbled
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 2 fresh mint leaves minced
- kosher salt to taste
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- In a small bowl, whisk together the white balsamic vinegar and Dijon mustard. Whisk in the olive oil, then stir in the scallions. Set the dressing aside. Whisk once more before using.
- In a medium bowl, combine the lentils, cucumber, tomatoes, shallot, feta cheese, cilantro, and mint. Toss with the dressing. Season to taste with salt and pepper.