Do you have leftover prime rib? Use the bones and leftovers in this delicious Beef, Mushroom, and Barley Soup featuring prime rib, shiitake mushrooms, and pearl barley!
Happy New Year!
2011 is upon us! The beginning of another year is one I approach with mixed sentiments and reflection. Sometimes, I feel a bit wistful about the quick passing of time, the way the months just slip away, and how the children continue to grow. Sometimes I feel quite satisfied with all that we have accomplished. The special moments that we as a family created – those memories that can be tucked away for a lifetime. And of course, I feel hopeful as we embark on another year, all the unknown, and the clean slate.
I hope that you had a cheerful start to your New Year. For many New Year’s Eve celebrations, festive food and drink are a must. I automatically think of luxurious foods. Foods like lobster, local Bay Area New Year’s favorites such as Dungeness Crab, and traditional dishes such as Prime Rib. If you observed the New Year with a carnivorous feast of Prime Rib, did you think to save the bones? In the past, I have always just thrown them away, but after our holiday Wasabi-Garlic Crusted Prime Rib, I surveyed the remnants and realized that the makings of a beef, mushroom, and barley soup were in those scraps.
Beef, Mushroom, and Barley Soup
All I needed were some slivers of fresh Shittake mushrooms and smooth pearls of barley.
My beef, mushroom, and barley soup not only makes excellent use of your prime rib leftovers, but it is the perfect meal after an indulgent evening of decadent food and libation. The light broth will soothe your tummy, and hone your body and spirit for any resolutions you may have pledged. I can’t think of a better start to a new year.
More Soups I Love
Beef, Mushroom, and Barley Soup
For the Prime Rib Beef Stock:
- 3 left over prime rib bones with some meat
- 1/2 onion with skin attached
- 3 stalks celery
- 1 carrot
- 8 cups water
For the Beef, Mushroom and Barley Soup:
- 1 cup pearl barley see notes below
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion diced
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 cup diced celery
- 2 carrots diced
- 4 shiitake mushrooms sliced
- 7 cups prime rib beef stock or use your favorite low-sodium beef stock
- meat from 3 roasted beef ribs
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme
Make the Prime Rib Beef Stock:
- In a Dutch oven or large pot, cover rib bones, onion, celery and carrot with about 8-10 cups water. Bring to a boil, then allow to simmer over low heat for about 3 hours. Strain broth, then store in air tight containers in the refrigerator or freezer. Reserve the meat for soup.
Make the Beef, Mushroom and Barley Soup:
- In a small bowl, cover barley with boiling water and allow to sit for about 10-15 minutes. Drain and rinse well, set aside.
- In a Dutch oven or soup pot, heat olive oil over medium heat. Sauté onions until transparent. Add garlic, celery, carrots, and mushrooms and continue to stir and sauté until mushrooms begin to wilt, for about 5 minutes. Add softened barley, beef stock, meat from beef ribs, and season with salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil then lower heat and allow to simmer, partially uncovered, for about 30 minutes, or until barley is fully cooked and tender. Stir in sherry vinegar, soy sauce and thyme. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper. Enjoy!