The only thing better than coffee and doughnuts is Coffee-Glazed Baked Chocolate Doughnuts! This easy baked doughnut recipe is made with dark chocolate and rich, bold coffee — perfect for coffee lovers! This post is brought to you in partnership with illy.
With the holiday rush nearly behind us and just the thought of relaxing mornings dangling like a carrot in front of my nose, I am starting to feel that familiar senioritis (or is it holiday-itis?) feeling when a break is up ahead. Vacation!
The thing is, we don’t have any trips planned for this winter break, and quite frankly, that is just fine with me. I have vacation dreams of sleeping in, and fireplaces, and movies, spending time with family, baking, and maybe finally finishing the book I’ve been reading for the past three years.
But the thing with me is wanderlust is in my genes, and I’m craving a trip. Seems like my son inherited our love for travel, and on the way home from school the other day, we were bouncing around ideas of where to go next year.
“Italy?” he suggested? Ah, Italy. Italia would be perfetto. It was the first European city I traveled to with my family growing up, and I have so many happy memories — delicious memories of good food, warm souls, and cozy sips. I remember marveling at the coffee culture in Italy, intrigued with the rituals behind a cappuccino and espresso. It was nothing like I had seen back home, even when coffee shops began to pop up on every corner in NYC.
Coffee in Italy seemed as religious as a papal viewing, and when you’re a young kid sipping your parents’ coffee for the first time, you notice more than just the taste. I remember the little red illy brand on white ceramic mugs, and the gorgeous cylindrical coffee cans, which looked like works of art on their own. When illy opened its first illy caffé here in San Francisco, it brought me back to that trip to Italy, and those life-changing sips of coffee!
So, we’ll see. Perhaps we will start planning a trip so the kids can experience the wonder on their own, but in the meantime, we can embrace our own illy-inspired coffee culture here at home. After our most recent trip to Europe, my husband grew accustomed to an afternoon espresso or coffee, depending on the day. So I’m not the only one especially excited that I get to work with illy to share with you their newest illy Arabica Selection of coffees, each one perfectly roasted to reflect the unique tastes of each Arabica!
Without even tasting it, the minute you crack open the vacuum-sealed canister, the aroma greets you: floral notes from Ethiopia, caramel notes from Brazil, fruity notes from Columbia, and my personal favorite, the chocolate notes from Guatemala. Each so distinct, just like their countries of origin, with each coffee transporting you, without a plane ticket.
Now that I am well stocked with illy coffee, I am ready for the break ahead, and perhaps the best part is I get to share it with my friends and family. Aunties and uncles, great aunts and great uncles, and cousins, too, will be dropping by, and we always make time for coffee and merienda, so I baked up some Coffee-Glazed Baked Chocolate Doughnuts — the perfect snack for a houseful of coffee lovers! You will love this easy baked doughnut recipe — the chocolate flavor is enhanced by chocolate notes from the Guatemalan Arabica coffee in the doughnut itself, but it’s the coffee glaze that will make your coffee loving heart swoon! It’s just the right bit of sweetness to pair with a dark cup of coffee!
And since everyone loves coffee, I am already tying bows on Arabica Selection coffee to pair with something homemade — it will be the perfect gift for our neighbors (spoiler alert to any neighbors reading this!). illy actually has two Arabica Selection bundles that are perfect for gift giving, one for Keurig users (like my mother-in-law!) and the other whole bean (for people like my dad!).
I’m excited that illy is sharing a special discount code for you! Use the code HOLIDAY25 for 25% off your order on illy.com when you use the code at checkout!
So hurry up, Christmas, I’m ready! Are you?
Disclosure: This post is brought to you in partnership with illy. Thank you for supporting brands that matter to me; sponsored posts such as this help behind the scenes at Kitchen Confidante. All opinions in this post are, as always, my own.
Coffee-Glazed Baked Chocolate Doughnuts
Baked Chocolate Doughnuts
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon finely ground illy Arabica Selection Guatemala Whole Bean Coffee
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 cup boiling-hot water
- 5 teaspoons finely ground illy Arabica Selection Guatemala Whole Bean Coffee
- 1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 cups confectioners sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350° F. Prepare a standard doughnut pan by lightly spraying with baking spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, coffee, and salt. In a small bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, oil, eggs, and vanilla. Gently stir in the buttermilk mixture into the flour mixture, until just combined.
- Fill the doughnut pan about 2/3 full – I use a pastry bag to make this easier, but it is not necessary. Bake for about 12-15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the doughnuts come out clean. Let the doughnuts cool for a few minutes before gently remove the doughnuts from the pan.
- Make the glaze by brewing the coffee in the boiling water for 5 minutes. Strain into a bowl, and stir in vanilla and salt. Whisk in the powdered sugar in 1/2 cup increments until smooth and you achieve your desired consistency, using a little more or less as necessary. Dip the doughnuts in the glaze and let the excess drip off. Let it cool on a wire rack…or enjoy immediately.