Why sacrifice flavor for simplicity when you can just have both? This Thai Shrimp and Coconut Quinoa Bowl is the perfect recipe for an easy one bowl meal.
Photo courtesy Stephen Hamilton.
I’m not sure how things work in your house, but I’m a one woman show. Let’s say it’s 4 o’clock and you are starting to get that familiar feeling. You’re not quite starving, but there are some people in the house who get hangry faster than the others. It’s time to get moving on dinner. What do you pick? The recipe that dirties up every pot and pan in the kitchen? If it’s a normal night, the answer is probably no, because guess who cooks it all and cleans it all up?
You got it.
For those days, simple is best and one bowl meals have become more and more popular as a “thing.” I feel as though I may overuse the word simplicity when I write to you, but truly, anything that can be simpler without sacrificing flavor is a very good thing.
Thai Shrimp and Coconut Quinoa Bowl
I embraced this concept when I recently wrote the article Back to Basics: One Bowl Meals for the latest issue of Who’s Hungry? Magazine. I loved sharing recipes such as this Thai Shrimp and Coconut Quinoa Bowl, my favorite Açaí Berry Bowl, Soba Noodle & Chicken Bowl with Spicy Peanut Sauce, Summer Corn and Barley Bowl, and a Coconut Tapioca Pudding Bowl – all of which were beautifully photographed by the talented food photographer and publisher of Who’s Hungry?, Stephen Hamilton.
This particular recipe features coconut-flavored quinoa, fresh veggies, and sautéed Thai-style shrimp. They all come together in this Thai Shrimp and Coconut Quinoa Bowl recipe—a wonderfully easy choice for a weeknight meal.
The Spring 2015 issue is gorgeous and features a focus on the basics, and I am honored to be part of it, along with talented chefs and writers such as Chef Rick Bayless, Hank Shaw, and Shelley West. Each article is captured gorgeously through Stephen’s lens.
So let’s keep it simple. Find the recipe below or all the bowl recipes here at Who’s Hungry Magazine.
More Shrimp Recipes
Grilled Shrimp Foil Packets with Basil, Garlic and Red Curry Compound Butter
Spicy Shrimp Fried Rice
Oven-Fried Crispy Shrimp Tacos with Quick Pickled Cabbage
Ginger Lemon Shrimp
Skillet Shrimp with Lime and Green Curry Compound Butter
More Bowl Recipes
Thai Shrimp & Coconut Quinoa Bowl
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 cup light coconut milk
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 lb shrimp peeled and deveined
- 1 tablespoon sriracha
- 1 teaspoon fish sauce
- 1 cup edamame
- 1 cup thinly sliced red cabbage
- 1 cup snow peas blanched and drained
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced carrots
- 1/2 cup red onion thinly sliced
- cilantro for garnish
- basil for garnish
For the dressing:
- 1/4 cup light coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- Rinse the quinoa under running water in a sieve. Place quinoa, coconut milk and chicken stock in a small sauce pan and bring to boil. Lower heat to a simmer, cover, and cook the quinoa for about 10 minutes. Drain the quinoa and set aside. This step can be done in advance, especially if you prefer a chilled salad style bowl.
- Heat canola oil in a saute pan over medium heat. Add the shrimp and cook, stirring periodically. Season with sriracha and fish sauce. Cook for about 5 minutes, or until the shrimp is pink and opaque in the center. Set aside.
- Make the dressing by stirring together the coconut milk, lime juice and fish sauce in a small bowl.
- To serve, arrange the quinoa, cabbage, snow peas, carrots, red onion and shrimp in the bowls. Top with the shrimp, and drizzle with dressing. Garnish with cilantro and basil.