This recipe for Caramelized Onion, Feta & Serrano Ham Flatbread is the perfect bite when you’re craving something salty and sweet! This flatbread is a delicious appetizer or meal on its own!
Note: This post first appeared April 25, 2014 as part of my Simple Sundays series and has been updated with improved kitchen notes, recipe annotation, and photography. I hope you enjoy this favorite from my kitchen!
The tears on the other side of my scratchy cell phone line were faint but audible. I could feel them in my heart, which broke at the thought of my children missing me. This was a first. The tears, that is. I’ve gone away before, not too often, but enough times to think that this was old hat to my children, perhaps even a novelty. The chance to eat pizza and gummy bears with daddy.
But this time, they missed me and begged me to come home.
“What did you eat for dinner?” I asked, hoping to change the subject to something more exciting. I knew what the answer would be.
“Pizza! With olives and half mushroom. And pepperoni.”
A treat, to be sure. If I were home, pizza would be homemade, but this time, they went out, with daddy, and I’m sure they were fine. But the thing is, I missed them as much as they missed me.
If I were home, I would have made the pizza with them, and let them top and layer with cheese. And I would probably have made another for myself.
I have been meaning to share this Caramelized Onion, Feta & Serrano Ham Flatbread. It was something to quench a craving for all things tangy, salty and slightly sweet. And to relish Jamon Serrano. Put another way…it was inhaled instantly. I hope you savor it, with the people you love. Give them a hug for me.
Like this recipe for Caramelized Onion, Feta and Serrano Ham Flatbread? Here are more flatbread recipes to try!
CARAMELIZED ONION, FETA & SERRANO HAM FLATBREAD
- 1 large red onion halved and thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries chopped
- 4 tablespoons balsamic vinegar divided
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 flatbread
- 1/3 cup feta cheese crumbled
- 4-6 thin slices Jamon Serrano ham or prosciutto
- 1/2 cup baby arugula
- 1 tablespoon agave nectar or honey
- In a frying pan or sauté pan, stir together the sliced onions, dried cranberries, 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar, water and brown sugar. Bring to a boil, then cover pan and lower heat to a simmer. Cook the onions for about 10 to 15 minutes, stirring periodically, until the onions are caramelized.
- Whisk together the remaining tablespoon of balsamic vinegar and agave nectar/honey. Set aside.
- Heat the flatbread on the grill, in the oven, or on a stovetop grill pan. Flip it over and top with the caramelized onions, and sprinkle with feta cheese. Arrange the Serrano ham or prosciutto on top. Grill/Bake/Cook the flatbread (cover if using grill or stovetop grill pan) for about 5 minutes, or until the cheese has started to melt.
- Transfer to a board, top with a handful of arugula, and drizzle with balsamic glaze. Cut into slices and serve immediately.