Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Bread is a taste of fall that can be made any time of year! This moist pumpkin bread with chocolate chips is made with buttermilk, canned pumpkin, and cozy spices!
Note: This post first appeared on February 16, 2015. The recipe has been updated from the archives with updated content and photographs, as well as improved kitchen notes and recipe annotation. I hope you enjoy this favorite from my kitchen.
If you’re joining me today, and double-checking your calendar, do not fear. I know. It’s February. And the food world (whoever that may be) declares that pumpkin is so last season. But it’s winter, my friends. And a long weekend. And if you’re my friends and family back in New York, I know you’re cozying up indoors. They say it will reach a balmy 12 degrees today back there. I say it’s a good day for baking.
Besides, canned pumpkin is something that I like to keep on hand, whatever the season. Last week, when the rains poured, and the dog flashed dirty looks anytime we coaxed him outdoors to do his doggy things, I kept cozy in the kitchen, baking up a couple of loaves of Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Bread. The scent of pumpkin spice drifted out of the kitchen, testing our willpower to wait a few moments before slicing into buttermilk rich quick bread, bursting with chocolate chips.
Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Bread
This recipe makes two loaves. Always make two. Eat one loaf fresh out of the oven over the weekend, and give the other away. Or, even better, save it to chase away the weekday blues.
How to Make Moist Pumpkin Bread
This moist fall bread with chocolate chips is made with buttermilk, canned pumpkin, and cozy spices! Here’s how to make Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Bread.
First, preheat the oven to 350°F. Sift or whisk together all the dry ingredients.
Use an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment to cream the butter and sugar together. Add in the eggs, one at a time, and then the pumpkin.
Alternate adding the flour mixture and the buttermilk into the mixer, ending with the flour. Don’t overmix! Stir in the chocolate chips by hand.
Divide the batter into two prepared loaf pans. Bake and enjoy!
More Delicious Pumpkin Recipes
Chocolate Marble Pumpkin Bread
Buttermilk Pumpkin Bread
Cinnamon Chip and Walnut Pumpkin Muffins
Chocolate Pumpkin Whoopie Pies
Pumpkin Spice Buttermilk Bundt Cake
Cassava Pumpkin Pie with Graham Cracker Crust
Disclosure: There may be affiliate links in this post. Please see my Privacy & Disclosure page for details.
Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Bread
- 3 cups flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 3 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter softened at room temperature
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups canned unsweetened pumpkin puree
- 1 cup buttermilk or substitute 1 cup whole milk with juice of one lemon
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350°F with a rack placed in the center of the oven. Prepare an 8.5 x 4.5 x 2.75-inch loaf pan (affiliate link) by spraying with baking spray and lining with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, sift or whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, ground cloves, and salt.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream the sugar and butter. Mix in eggs, one at a time, then add the pumpkin, mixing thoroughly. Add flour mixture and buttermilk, alternating until incorporated. Try to end with the flour mixture addition, and be sure not to over mix. Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Divide the batter into the prepared loaf pans.
- Bake for 45 minutes to one hour or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely before serving.