Nutella Ganache Covered Cheesecake
Nutella Ganache Covered Cheesecake is a New York style cheesecake recipe that is a dense yet fluffy cheesecake base, covered in a thick layer of Nutella ganache. The ultimate decadent cheesecake experience! Enjoy this cheesecake at your next celebration!
Nutella Ganache Covered Cheesecake is a New York-style cheesecake recipe with a dense yet fluffy cheesecake base covered in a thick layer of Nutella ganache. The ultimate decadent cheesecake experience! Enjoy this cheesecake at your next celebration!
Note: This post was originally published on October 9, 2014. The recipe has been updated from the archives.
I hope you enjoy this favorite from my kitchen.
Don’t blink. Because if you do, a decade passes. Just like that.
Loved ones lost.
Houses become homes.
Farewells turn into new beginnings.
10 years ago today, I married the man I have grown to love more and more each day, in ways I could have never understood a decade ago. The years have brought us closer, and we have been blessed in so many ways. I share glimpses of this with you. And I wouldn’t be able to do any of this without him.
So, something sweet. This Nutella Ganache Covered Cheesecake represents so much of our ten years of marriage. There is the sweet, and there is the savory. There is the appreciation of the unknown (you may be surprised to learn that this Nutellaholic married a man who did not understand the virtues of chocolate hazelnut until recently – proof that we all can learn to love something new, if only we try). There is the nostalgia (the day I met my husband, I ate a chocolate-dipped cheesecake). There is the shared (we both love a good New York-style cheesecake).
I have long been on the hunt for a New York-style cheesecake recipe that reminds me of the dense yet fluffy creations I grew up on back East. Many versions later, I think I have finally found one that works, for now. I turned to Ina Garten; if anyone would understand a good cheesecake, surely she might…and she did not let me down for this Nutella Ganache Covered Cheesecake.
Celebrate with us – celebrate those milestones – appreciate the sweetness of love.
How to Make Nutella Ganache Covered Cheesecake
The best part about showstopper desserts like cheesecake is that the steps are spread out over time. It’s may look complicated, but truly, it’s quite simple! You just need to allow for a little time in your schedule!
We start with making the graham cracker crust. If you have a food processor, it makes quick work of blitzing the graham crackers into crumbs, but you can easily crush the graham crackers in a resealable bag and mash it with a rolling pin. Once you have the crumbs, simply mix in the butter and sugar, and press it into a springform pan. A quick bake in the oven will allow the crust to come together.
While the crust bakes, make the ganache. If you prefer an extra layer of chocolatey goodness, spread a little ganache over the crust, but this is optional. Chill the crust while you make the filling.
The filling couldn’t be simpler. Blend all the ingredients for the cream cheese filling until smooth, then pour into the prepared crust. Then it’s off to bake!
Once the cheesecake has baked and cooled to room temperature, chill the cheesecake overnight. The longer it chills, the better it tastes – cheesecake tends to cure over time, if you let it chill for a day or two, I find the flavor gets even better.
Decorating the chilled cheesecake with a ganache topping and Ferrero Rocher chocolates brings this over the top! Be sure to chill the cake one more time to allow the ganache to firm before slicing and serving.
Love cheesecake? Try these other delicious cheesecake recipes!
No-bake Lemon Curd Cheesecake Bars
No-churn Cheesecake Ice Cream Cake
No-bake Goat Cheese Cheesecake with Nectarine Compote
Lemon-berry Cheesecake Parfaits
No-Bake Kahlúa Pumpkin Spice Cheesecake
Nutella Ganache Covered Cheesecake
For the crust:
- 1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs 10 crackers
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
For the ganache:
- 3/4 cup Nutella chocolate hazelnut spread
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
For the filling:
- (5) 8 oz packages cream cheese at room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 5 whole large eggs at room temperature
- 2 large egg yolks at room temperature
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest 2 lemons
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- Ferrero Rocher Fine Hazelnut Chocolates
Make the crust
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- In a food processor or blender, process graham crackers till fine. If you don’t have a food processor, you can also place the crackers in a resealable bag and crush with a rolling pin. Add butter and sugar, and combine. Pour into pan, pressing down with fingers or measuring cup. Bake in the oven for about 8 minutes. Cool to room temperature.
- Raise the oven temperature to 450°F.
Make the Nutella ganache
- Make the Chocolate Nutella Ganache according to the instructions linked in the notes section below. Use just enough (about 1/3 cup) to lightly coat the crust. Place in the refrigerator while you make the filling.
Make the filling
- In a bowl of an electric mixer, cream the cream cheese and sugar on medium-high speed for about 5 minutes. The mixture should be light and fluffy. Lower the mixer speed to medium and add the eggs and egg yolks, a couple at a time, scraping down the bowl periodically. Lower the mixer speed to low and add the sour cream, lemon zest and vanilla extract. Pour into the refrigerated crust.
- Place the pan on a foil covered baking sheet in the oven. Bake for 15 minutes. Turn down the oven to 225°F and bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes. Turn the oven off and open the oven door. Let the cheesecake sit in the opened oven untouched for 30 minutes. Carefully remove the cheesecake from the oven and allow it to cool completely at room temperature for three hours. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
The following day
- The following day, carefully remove the cheesecake out of the pan: run a wet knife along the edge of the pan then unlatch the sides to remove. Stir the ganache to soften. Carefully and slowly pour the ganache over the cheesecake, starting in the center and allowing the ganache to move outwards and over the edge and sides of the cake, if you wish. Garnish with Ferrero Rocher Chocolates. Return to refrigerator and chill until the ganache is firm before serving.
I never taste cheesecake. So don’t know this one is fine or not. But I am thinking to make one for myself. Thanks for the nice recipe.
Hi! Shouldn’t a water bath be used in the oven to bake the cheesecake in?
I always love this type of dessert. Even my lovely wife also love. And as usually we love also snow cones. You can check it if you don’t done it yet. In my website, I’ve added top 10 snow cone homemade recipes. :)
This is awesome! just waaaoooowww. I will definitely give it try! This is the perfect dessert to share with your loved ones. Thanks
question about the ganache…after refrigerating for a few hours it doesn’t look pourable like normal ganache, do you let it come back to room temperature before putting it on cheesecake? Or do you spread it on cheesecake with a knife?
Hi Leeann, I find that by stirring the ganache, it will soften it so that it can will be pourable again. The stirring helps to warm it up! Hope that helps.
This food is amazing! Nutella with cheesecake wow! It’s probably heavy but super tasty! Thanks for sharing!
A nutella ganache isn’t bad idea for sweet anniversary day. Your instructions have given more tips than any recipe and post i have read. Keep up your talent.
The nutella ganache recipe is not there at that link anymore. Does anyone have it?
Hi Liz, here is the updated link. I’ll fix the link in the recipe, thanks for catching that!
Great recipe! and Beautiful photos, i started early too and enjoy it to this day!
i really love to eat that type of extra thing , i love the admin :)
Made this cake today after finally finding a recipe that did not call for Nutella in the batter. It turned out beautiful…no cracks with a beautiful golden color. I opted out of using the brandy in the ganache-will be giving this cake as a gift so unsure of their liking. Sad part I won’t be able to taste but the family is crying out for another. Thank you for a great recipe!~melanie
Melanie, what a wonderful gift – I’m so glad the cake turned out well for you! And I do hope you and your family gets to try it, too :) Thank you for coming back to let me know!
This looks like heaven!
One question though, is the lemon zest optional? I hate the lemony taste in cheesecake! I like to taste the cheese quite more, if it doesn’t taste like lemon in the filling then I’m still gonna use it but otherwise tell me to skip it.
This still looks amazing though, I’ve been googling “nutella cheesecake” but all the recipes mix the chocolate + cream cheese for the filling and this is just wanted I wanted!
Visit my blog if you’d like, doodles and poetry!
Hi Wafa! I’m so glad you’d like to try the cheesecake! The lemon zest is optional but I assure you that it really does not make the filling taste like lemon, it’s quite subtle. But of course, if you really dislike lemon, then by all means, omit it! I hope you enjoy!
I just realized the nutella won’t harden…was thinking it was chocolate :)
Hi there, going to attempt your beautiful cake today. Just wondering what you did with the ganache while the cake was in the fridge overnight. Did you put it in the fridge as well or leave it at room temperature? I’m thinking it should go in the fridge due to the cream, but I’m wondering if it will harden. Thanks!
What an awesome cheesecake. I was going to make the below version but I think I will attempt your version instead.
Oh man, a cheesecake with nutella ganache? That is just like heaven…I am so very impressed! Your pictures are simply gorgeous as well.
I have been eyeing this recipe since I have first seen it on foodgawker and tasteologie yesterday… Thought I should finally comment. ;)
This just sounds and looks like the perfect combination! The cheesecakelooks so light while the ganache so oozingly tempting and rich!
The happy anniversary! You words are so well put and touching.
Mmmm, nutella ganache…. genius! And even better on cheesecake! Beautiful pic. Makes me want to reach out and grab it! :)
The cheesecake looks great.
The words for your husband are so heart touching…love this post! And I need trying to make this yummy looking cake! Greetings from germany, geisslein