Thai-style Meatballs with Rice Noodles
Thai-style Meatballs with Rice Noodles is a meatball and noodle dish in a Thai-style coconut curry broth the whole family will love! This post is brought to you by Beef. It’s What’s For Dinner.
Thai-style Meatballs with Rice Noodles is a meatball and noodle dish the whole family will love! Beef meatballs simmered in a Thai-style coconut curry broth and served with bright green kale, aromatic herbs and rice noodles is simple enough for busy weeknights. This post is brought to you by Beef. It’s What’s For Dinner.
I challenge you to find a kid out there who doesn’t like meatballs.
Ok, now that I’ve actually put it out there, I’m sure there might be one. Ok, maybe two. But most children like meatballs, right?
I know it was probably my most favorite thing ever when I was a little girl!
It didn’t matter what kind, meatballs, especially when paired with noodles, were always worth getting to the table to in time…better yet, those were the days when I would wander into the kitchen early, because making meatballs were almost as much fun as eating them!
Thai-style meatballs with rice noodles is a delicious spin on what many kids will consider a classic — but what I love about this dish is that it’s light, with meatballs that are simmered in a delicious coconut curry broth, and served over a bed of thin rice noodles, with fragrant herbs and bright green kale. All the major food groups are in this dish, which makes me happy, and for my kids, the major food group of meatballs coaxes them to the table without hesitation!
Learn more and find more recipe inspiration at: http://www.beefitswhatsfordinner.com/groundbeef
Disclosure: This post is sponsored by Beef. It’s What’s For Dinner. Thank you for supporting brands that matter to me; sponsored posts such as this help behind the scenes at Kitchen Confidante. All opinions in this post are, as always, my own.
Love Thai-Style recipes? Try these other great dishes:
Thai-Style Chicken Salad Rainbow Wraps
Thai-Spiced Mandarin Orange Roasted Chicken Thighs
Thai Shrimp and Coconut Quinoa Bowls
Thai-Style Shrimp Curry
Thai-Style Meatballs with Rice Noodles
For the meatballs:
- 2 pounds 85% lean ground beef
- 1/2 cup shallots or red onion finely minced
- 3 garlic cloves finely minced
- 2 tablespoons Thai curry paste red or green, to your liking
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
For the noodles:
- 8.8 oz thin rice noodles
- Chopped cilantro for serving
- Chopped scallions for serving
- Fresh basil for serving
For the broth:
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup shallots or red onion finely minced
- 2 tsp red curry paste
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup unsweetened light coconut milk
- 4 cups kale chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro coarsely chopped
- juice of 1/2 lime
- fish sauce or salt to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Make the meatballs: In a large bowl, combine the beef, shallots/red onion, garlic, Thai curry sauce, fish sauce, egg and pepper until well combined.
- Form into 1 1/4 inch meatballs, you should be able to make about 35 meatballs.
- Prepare the noodles by bringing a large pot of water to a rolling boil. Season with salt, stir in the noodles, and turn off the heat. Let it stand for 3-5 minutes, then drain and set aside.
- In a medium sauce pan, heat the oil over medium-low heat. Add the shallots and cook for about 3-5 minutes, or until translucent. Stir in the curry paste and cook for about 30 seconds.
- Add the broth, coconut milk, and bring to a boil.
- Drop in the meatballs into the broth, cover and simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the kale, cilantro, and lime juice, and season to taste with fish sauce and pepper.
- Serve immediately over noodles, garnishing with additional cilantro, scallions and basil.
Hi Lisa, I’m pleased that you are interested in trying this recipe! I believe your comment was intended as an email to share and not as a blog comment. If you ever want to share recipes from my site, you can use the “email this” button from the share menu. I hope that helps!
This sounds really good, but I was brought up short by “2 Tbs. Thai Curry Sauce” in the meatballs. I see that you used curry paste in the broth, but I am unsure what you used for the meatballs. Could you be more specific? Thanks in advance for your help. I am really looking forward to making this.
Hi John, I used the same thai curry paste that is in the broth — sorry for the confusion! I am amending the recipe so that is more clear. Hope you enjoy it!
I love these Thai flavors! This is one recipe to make for dinner very soon! :)
I can never get tired of these flavors — I hope you enjoy this for dinner soon, Laura!