All of your favorite summer fruits and vegetables, in a vibrant summer salad! This Tomato, Corn and Nectarine Chickpea Salad is guaranteed to become a go-to all season long.
My usual obsession with zucchini became short-lived this year – around this time, I’m typically finding all kinds of ways to sneak my favorite summer squashes into everything, from dark chocolate zucchini bread to flatbreads and even to brownies. I’m not sure how to explain the stunted obsession — somehow green made room for shades of yellow, and I’ve been having tons more fun with tomatoes, corn and nectarines.
The heirloom tomatoes, in particular, have been incredible! This year, my son planted his very first heirloom tomato plants in our garden, and while they are not the most healthy of plants (we’re still learning!), they have produced some fruit, which he is patiently waiting to harvest. Meanwhile, he’s been lending his little farmer hands to our friends up the street whose tomato plants are lush and green and dripping with tempting red fruit. We’re all hoping that next year we can do better in the home garden department.
Until then, it’s off to the farmer’s market to find sweet tomatoes, along with my other summer loves. I transformed one of our go to chickpea salads into this very summer friendly Tomato, Corn and Nectarine Chickpea Salad — which has been getting a lot of love in my kitchen these last few weeks. I simply can’t get enough of the sweet nectarine and corn, the juicy tomatoes, the tangy cubes of feta and the hearty chickpeas all in a lemony-garlic dressing that I could drink like pickle juice. It goes with nearly every summer meal off the grill, and if there are leftovers, I’ll happily eat bowls of it for lunch on its own.
Have you grown tomatoes? Any tips you can share with me? We’re determined to get it right next season!
Tomato, Corn and Nectarine Chickpea Salad
- 1 15- oz can of chickpeas garbanzo beans
- 2 cups cooked corn kernels
- 1 1/2 cups halved cherry tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cups sliced nectarines
- 1 jalapeno seeds and pith removed, finely diced
- 1/2 cup cilantro minced
- 2 garlic cloves mashed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons rice vinegar
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- freshly ground black pepper
- 6 oz feta cheese cut in 1/2 inch cubes
- Rinse and drain chickpeas.
- In a medium bowl, combine the chickpeas, corn, tomatoes, nectarines, jalapeno, and cilantro.
- In a small bowl, mash together the garlic and salt. Whisk in the lemon juice, mustard, vinegar and olive oil. Season to taste with pepper.
- Toss the dressing into the chickpeas and vegetables. Let it sit for at least an hour in the refrigerator. Before serving, stir in feta cheese.