All of the Above

All of the Above

The first time I made a bread pudding, I thought to myself, How am I supposed to eat this? Warm? Cold? Plain? Topped with cream? Ice cream? I asked my friends. I asked my family. And of course, I tasted it myself all those ways. For research purposes, of course.

I learned that the answer is: all of the above.

Bread pudding is the frugal cook’s best friend, and can be found in cuisines all over the world, from England to Hong Kong. It makes use of stale bread, transforming it from pigeon food material to something custard-y and delightful. When I looked into my cupboards and  fridge and noticed that I had about a third of a loaf of cinnamon twist, a cup of condensed milk, and some overripe bananas on hand, I knew exactly what to do.

Go ahead…dip your spoon into the warm custard, lifting out layers of sugary sweet banana and fluffy, cream soaked cinnamon bread….leftovers never tasted so good.

And for the record, this is how I prefer to eat a Banana Cinnamon Bread Pudding:

Banana Cinnamon Bread Pudding

Makes 5 6-ounce ramekins.

Adapted from Banana Bread Pudding, The Martha Stewart Living Cookbook.

• 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
  • 1 cup condensed milk
  • 3 large eggs
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 2 teaspoons cinnamon
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 3 medium very ripe bananas, sliced
  • 2 1/4 cups cinnamon bread (ideally challah style), diced
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar
  • caramel sauce for serving
  • ice cream (optional)

Preheat oven to 325° F. Bring a kettle of water to a boil.

In a bowl, whisk together the condensed milk, eggs, salt, cinnamon, and vanilla extract. Set aside

Butter the bottoms of each ramekin with butter. Divide the butter, placing a small pat in each ramekin. Sprinkle 1/2 teaspoon of sugar into each ramekin. Arrange the bananas over the sugar, followed by bread. Soak with some of the custard mixture. Repeat with another layer of banana, bread and custard. Press the bread into the custard to ensure it gets a good soaking. Sprinkle with any remaining sugar.

Cover ramekins with a foil, place in a baking dish in the oven. Pour boiling water into baking dish, filling halfway. Bake for 30 minutes, uncover, then bake for another 30 minutes.

Serve the bread pudding warm with drizzle of caramel sauce, and if you’re feeling especially indulgent, a dollop of vanilla ice cream.

Comments

1. Tammy

You have such a stunning site!
    Your bread pudding looks fantastic and sounds delish!

xx,
    Tammy

2. Lindsey @ Hot Polka Dot

Delicious! Banana Cinnamon Bread Pudding is one of my favourite things I’ve ever eaten. It’s so warm and homey it almost stops time.

3. Glenn K.

Bread pudding is a Gulf Coast staple, and this one looks so good on a cold and rainy day like today.

Any suggestions on a good recipe for caramel sauce? Yours looks very rich. You obviously have a technique well in hand.

Thanks.

-Glenn K.
    Editor & Publisher of All About Mardi Gras

4. Threemealsaday

Ah the wonders of bread pudding and how it warms our heart. A great idea to incorporate the bananas and I have some ready to use. Nice photo. Congrats on the top 9.

Stuart

5. Chef Dennis

hi Liren

what a gread addition to bread pudding, I havent thought of adding bananas! we always have left over bananas at school, I will try it next time I make bread pudding. And of course with ice cream is the perfect way to serve it.
    Congrats on your top 9!
    Dennis

6. Eizel

I too just posted a bread pudding recipe – must be bread pudding madness! Luv the pics!

7. Pachecopatty

Thanks for sharing this recipe, I’m loving it with the bananas! I will have to try this for a dinner party, It’s been way too long since my last bread pudding;-)

8. norma

This sounds delish. We are very big bread pudding people. We save all our left overs and when we have enough, we make a big pan full..and use all of the above.

9. Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen

How perfect, my mom was just looking for a bread pudding recipe the other day! She was telling me she had some leftover bread she wanted to use up. And for the record your preferred way eating bread pudding is mine as well!

10. RavieNomNoms

I really need to try and make this, last time I had bread pudding I was in Louisiana and it was blueberry and it was fantastic. I am not sure why I haven’t tried to make it at home. I definitely should.

11. Sara @CaffeIna

I agree! Every way is great to eat bread pudding. I can never get tired of it. So versatile. So good to finish up leftovers. So comforting!

• Liren

Glad you agree, Sara! Whomever made up bread pudding was a wise woman, don’t you think?

12. Kita

I have some leftover bread and I have been wanting to make bread pudding – but never having it before, I have wondered the same things! Thank you for sharing that I can have it any way – it really takes some of the pressure off (lol, because my cat judges so harshly!)
    I love the use of banana. That seems like it would be a great flavor to compliment the dish.

• Liren

Hi there, Kita! There’s only one way to find out – you’ll just have to try bread pudding in all its different forms – I’m sure you’ll find your own favorite! I think it also depends on the bread pudding, though. This particular one, I adore warm. But I also make a chocolate bread pudding that is ah-ma-zing cold.

13. Kate @ Diethood.com

Oh my gosh, this looks so sinfully delicious. I get so happy when I see that my bananas have gone “bad”… I can’t explain how excited I get and it’s only because I get to make banana bread!
    Now I’m itching to make your version…. I love it!

• Liren

Yes, usually I wish for my bananas to go stale so I can start baking. And when I get my cinnamon bread, I secretly hope there are stale leftovers so I can make this, too :)

14. Roxan

I love bread pudding! It’s so rich and luxurious. I’m glad to find another bread lover – a lot of my friends don’t like it. This looks amazing, and even more heavenly with the huge scoop of ice cream on top.

• Liren

True, I know there are definitely people who don’t think bread pudding is their thing. I’ve gotta say, this bread pudding turned my own kids into believers :)

15. Brian @ A Thought For Food

This meets all of my qualifications for a tasty dessert. No need for chocolate… just some bread pudding with a heaping scoop of ice cream on top. And I’m a happy man! This looks absolutely fantastic!

• Liren

So true, no need for chocolate. BUT, I do have a weakness for chocolate in a bread pudding. It took a lot of resistance on my part to not add any this time.

16. Becky

My husband loves bread pudding , but I’ve never made bread pudding with bananas. I’ll have to try this soon. Those are just the ingredients in everyone’s pantry.

• Liren

Hi Becky – he will love this! Putting the bananas in there reminded me of one big French toast in a ramekin!

• Liren

I agree, any which way :) I like it warm at night, cold for breakfast :)

17. BigFatBaker

yum!! I have over half a loaf of french bread that needs to be used up. Banana bread pudding sounds like a fabulous idea :) Thanks for the inspiration!

18. Lindsey

I read this just as I’m about to wind down and head to bed but that late night craving has kicked in….. looks amazing!

• Liren

Hi Lindsey! Sorry for the late night craving, but hope your had sweet dreams of bread pudding!

19. jenjenk

It’s so funny – i was doing some spring cleaning and found a pile of various bread pudding recipes! I’ve always been hesitant to try it [mostly because I wasn’t sure it was something I’d like] but this just looks fantastic!

• Liren

Hi Jen! What a funny coincidence – it must be fate! Definitely give bread pudding a whirl, I think you will like it!

Kitchen Confidante®

Kitchen Confidante uses cookies to serve you the best possible experience. By using our website, we understand that you accept their use and agree to our cookie policy.