Chickpea Salad Sandwich – a simple and satisfying vegetarian sandwich that’s chock full of mashed chickpeas, crunchy veggies, vegan mayo and tangy feta! Try this chickpea salad sandwich recipe for lunch or your next picnic!
I’m a creature of habit when it comes to breakfast and lunch. At least on weekdays. Oats for breakfast and some kind of veggie sandwich or veggie wrap for lunch are the norm. Maybe it’s the Steve Jobs mindset – if I have a uniform when it comes to these meals, I’m more efficient and can devote brain power to more pressing decisions.
At least that’s how I rationalize food ruts!
But I have a new sandwich to love, and it still checks all the boxes. Vegetarian? Check. Protein packed? Check. Easy to make? Check. Super delicious? Check!
Chickpea Salad Sandwich Recipe
This chickpea salad sandwich is a mash up of my favorite hummus wrap and my go-to tuna salad sandwich when I was a little girl. It starts by mashing canned chickpeas until it’s chunky and adding all the mix-ins for texture and flavor.
Red onion, roasted red pepper, crushed pistachios, and green onions add crunch, and I use vegan mayo to bind it all together. At this point, it’s technically vegan, but I can’t help but add tangy, salty feta cheese for extra flavor. If you want a vegan version, just leave out the cheese!
As with any sandwich, toppings make it even better, so definitely add some of your favorite leafy greens! I also love thinly sliced cucumber for extra crunch, and another sprinkling of feta!
More Sandwich Recipes to Try
Slow Cooker Bánh Mì Vietnamese Sandwich
Olive Brined Chicken Sandwich with Olive Tapenade
Slow Cooker Filipino Adobo-style Pulled Pork Sandwiches
Simple Sundays | Cubano Breakfast Sandwich
Thai-Style Chicken Salad Rainbow Wraps
Hummus and Tahini Egg Salad
Chickpea Salad Sandwich with Feta
- 15 oz chickpeas rinsed and drained
- 1/3 cup vegan mayonnaise
- 1/3 cup feta cheese to taste
- 1/4 cup red onion finely minced
- 1/4 cup roasted red pepper finely chopped
- 1/4 cup green onion finely sliced
- 1/4 cup chopped nuts or seeds such as pistachio, sunflower seeds, etc.
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- kosher salt to taste
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- bread for serving
- lettuce for serving
- cucumber (optional) for serving
- Mash the chickpeas with a fork in a large bowl.
- Stir in the mayonnaise, feta cheese, red onion, red pepper, green onion, nuts/seeds, and apple cider vinegar. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Spread the chickpea salad on a slice of bread, garnish if you wish with more feta cheese, lettuce and sliced cucumbers, and top with another slice of bread to make a sandwich.