Nectarine Crumb Cake + Ice Cream Birthday Cupcakes | Two-in-One Birthdays!
For my little family, birthdays begin the minute you wake up — as soon as our children open their eyes on their special day, I want them to know how huge this day is – for both of us! So what do you do, when…
For my little family, birthdays begin the minute you wake up — as soon as our children open their eyes on their special day, I want them to know how huge this day is – for both of us!
So what do you do, when the celebration must last all day? Well, for one, you get a special breakfast treat! It may be muffins, or pancakes, but how about cake? If there’s any day you should have cake for breakfast, let it be your birthday.
Now a layer cake with frosting may be too decadent first thing in the morning, but what about a Nectarine Crumb Cake?
The beauty of this crumb cake is three-fold: (1) you can make this cake with beautiful nectarines, peaches, berries, or any fruit that is in season, (2) it comes together in a snap with good ole Betty Crocker yellow cake, and (3) it only takes HALF the box, meaning you have enough cake mix left over to make Ice Cream Birthday Cupcakes for your celebrations later that day!
Two recipes out of one box!
It doesn’t get any simpler than that!
Making special moments for my family is so important to me, but so is simplicity – and I can’t think of a better way to use a box of Betty Crocker cake mix. Isn’t this an awesome way to Get Your Betty On???
More Two-in-One Birthday Planning Tips:
- Make party decor part of the goodie bag experience! Instead of assembling favors the night before, guests can go home with a bit of the party fun: balloons, colorful lollipops, even adorable, reusable cups (which would be even better personalized).
- Paper plates aren’t just for eating! String them together and use them as a banner or wall decor!
- If you’re creating a themed party out of something your child already has, use those toys, books, wall art, and knick knacks for decoration: Bring out the American Girls and build them into the decor (or cars, or trucks, or trains, or teddy bears…you get the idea!).
- Make or find one unifying clip art with your theme and use it over and over and over again. Print sheets of sticky labels with the clip art and stick it on cups, favor bags, straws, jars on the buffet, invitations, thank you cards…everywhere! It will look cohesive with minimal effort.
- Holidays make it easy! Embrace birthdays that are close to big holidays for the ultimate in two-in-one celebrations: Halloween themed birthdays are especially fun when kids can dress up, Fourth of July birthdays sparkle with red-white-and-blue, summer birthdays call for a splash in the pool, and New Year’s babies can be glamorous, even for kids!
- And my favorite: use a box of Betty Crocker cake mix to make TWO desserts! Half the box makes a small cake, and the other half can be used for cupcakes, mini cupcakes, even cookies!
You can find the recipe for the Nectarine Crumb Cake below, and all you need to do to make the Ice Cream Birthday Cupcakes is bake the remaining cake mix with 2 eggs, 1/2 cup water and 3 tablespoons vegetable oil to the and bake as directed on the box. Top the cupcakes with ice cream, douse them with sprinkles, and keep it in the freezer until you’re ready to blow out the candles. Voila! One crumb cake, perfect for breakfast or as a treat for grown-ups, and a dozen cupcakes (or two dozen mini cupcakes), perfect for celebrating. I don’t know about you, but ice cream and cake are a must for birthdays!
I hope you love this fun and easy way to stretch a box of Betty Crocker cake mix! Join me and Get Your Betty On by checking out Betty Crocker on BettyCrocker.com, Facebook, Pinterest, and Instagram for birthday ideas and more! And be sure to share how you #GetYourBettyOn on Instagram, too!
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Betty Crocker . The opinions and text are all mine.
Nectarine Crumb Cake
This cake is perfect for birthday breakfast or as an extra treat to serve for grown ups who want something different to go with a nice cup of coffee or tea!
1/2 box Betty Crocker™ SuperMoist™ yellow cake mix (1 2/3 cups)
1/4 cup sour cream
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
3 tablespoons water
1 large egg
1 nectarine, thinly sliced
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup sliced almonds
1/4 cup crushed pecans
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
3 tablespoons butter, softened
Preheat the oven to 350F. Prepare a 9 inch springform pan by spraying it with baking spray with flour.
Combine the cake mix, sour cream, oil, water and egg in the bowl of an electric mixer and blend for 30 second on low speed, and 2 more minutes on medium speed, scraping the bowl occasionally. Spread the cake batter in the prepared cake pan, then arrange the nectarine slices on top.
In a small bowl combine the sugar, almonds, pecans, flour and butter with a fork until the mixture is a crumbly topping. Sprinkle evenly over the nectarines in the cake pan.
Bake for 30-40 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Let the cake rest cool for at least 30 minutes before transferring to a serving plate and serving. Garnish with freshly sliced nectarines.
Adapted from Raspberry Crumb Cake, Betty Crocker.com.