Plank Grilled Alaska Salmon with Honey Chipotle Glaze
Plank Grilled Salmon with Honey Chipotle Glaze: summer cooking on the grill is delicious with salmon grilled on a plank and with a spicy glaze.
Plank Grilled Alaska Salmon with Honey Chipotle Glaze: summer cooking on the grill is delicious with salmon grilled on a plank and with a spicy glaze. This post is brought to you by Alaska Seafood.
When the birds frantically chirp, coaxing us, “come out, come out, see how beautiful it is outside!” and the blue skies allow the sun to warm our shoulders, we find ourselves emerging from the house onto the back patio, squinting at the space we’ve long avoided all winter.
Chair cushions are pulled from storage, tables are power washed, and the grill beckons us.
It’s time to fire things up.
And not just the grill, but what we put on it.
The quickest way to shake off the winter blues and heavy comfort foods is by grilling something bold and flavorful, and I couldn’t wait to kick off grilling season with a plank salmon glazed in a sweet and spicy glaze that will wake anyone out of hibernation!
For my 5th and final recipe in my Alaska Seafood Series, I return to Alaska salmon. Low in calories and high in protein, and an exceptional source of omega 3 fatty acids, all species of wild Alaska salmon also have low levels of mercury. What I especially appreciate about Alaska salmon, whether it is sockeye, king, pink, keta or coho, is that Alaska fishing is highly monitored for sustainability and supports local fishermen and communities. I know that the harvest comes from cold, glacier-fed waters, making it exceptionally clean and of the highest quality. For more information about Alaska seafood, visit wildalaskaseafood.com.
Salmon has become a staple when it comes to our grocery runs, and for me, my quick and easy go-to has to simply roast in the oven. But now that the grill is ready and warm weather is upon us, this Grilled Plank Salmon with Honey Chipotle Glaze is even easier, with a glaze that will truly wake up all the senses.
How to Make Grilled Plank Salmon with Honey Chipotle Glaze
The beauty of this recipe is that you can have a showstopper of a meal with truly minimal effort. The honey chipotle sauce is so easy to whip up in seconds in a food processor and is so packed with flavor that between the sweet and spicy tang and the smoke from grilling the salmon on the plank, you’re left with a seafood dish that is bold and flavorful!
The only thing you must remember is to soak your plank in water. This helps prevent the plank from catching fire on the grill.
A whole fillet of salmon makes for an impressive presentation, but if you prefer portions of salmon for serving, then I would recommend slicing your salmon before grilling. If you wait until after, the salmon just flakes apart, which is utterly delicious, but not very neat for plating individual portions.
With so little prep work needed for this dish, you have plenty of time to whip up a salad to serve with the plank salmon while it grills! Try it with Tomato, Corn and Nectarine Chickpea Salad, Avocado Cucumber Salad, or Avocado Corn Tomato Salad for complete meal!
MORE RECIPES IN THE ALASKA SEAFOOD SERIES
Quinoa Stuffed Alaska Sole
Alaska Dungeness Crab Cake Benedict
Thai-style Salmon Burgers
Spicy Fish Taco Bowls with Cabbage Slaw
Disclosure: This post was created in partnership with Alaska Seafood. Thank you for supporting brands that matter to me; sponsored posts such as this help behind the scenes at Kitchen Confidante. All opinions in this post are, as always, my own.
Grilled Plank Salmon with Honey Chipotle Glaze
- 2 canned chipotle in adobo sauce, plus 1 tablespoons adobo sauce
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- Kosher salt to taste
- 2 lb salmon fillet skin on (about 1 1/2 inches thick)
- 1/4 cup cilantro chopped, for garnish
- 2 tablespoons green onions thinly sliced, for garnish
- lime wedges for serving
- Soak your plank in water for at least 2 hours, keeping it fully submerged. A small, heavy dish should keep it under water.
- Preheat the grill to medium-high heat and open the vents.
- Place the adobo chiles, sauce, honey, garlic and lime juice in the bowl of a food processor. Process until it is nearly smooth and season to taste with salt. Remember, this will be very spicy!
- Drain the plank and place it on the grill. Grill for two minutes, then flip over. This will help prep the plank and prevent it from warping.
- Season the salmon with kosher salt and place the salmon on the plank, skin side down. Brush generously with the glaze. Cover the grill and cook for about 15-20 minutes, depending on the thickness of your fish, or until the salmon is about 145°F in the center.
- Carefully transfer the plank onto a baking sheet and let the salmon sit for another 5 minutes before serving. The salmon will continue to cook from the ambient heat of the plank.
- Garnish with cilantro and green onions and serve with lime wedges.
Grilled Plank Salmon Tips
- If you prefer individual fillets of salmon for serving, then I recommend slicing your salmon before grilling. If you wait until after, the salmon just flakes apart, which is utterly delicious, but not very neat for plating individual portions.
- It is very important that you soak your plank in water to prevent the plank from catching fire on the grill.
- Grill the plank for a few minutes on each side to help prevent the plank from warping.
My family loves salmon so I’m always looking for unique delicious ways to make it. This recipe did not disappoint! The salmon was so tender & packed with so many unique flavours. Thanks for this, its a keeper!
Thank you, Sabrina! I’m so happy that you loved the salmon recipe!