Keep it simple and sweet! K.I.S.S. BROWNIES are my go-to homemade brownie recipe when I want a fudgy brownie. You’ll love this simple brownie recipe!
Note: This post first appeared September 9, 2012 and has been updated with improved kitchen notes, recipe annotation, photography and video. I hope you enjoy this favorite from my kitchen!
My son gave me a big hug and a kiss. Thank you mama, thank you for making brownies!
Best brownies ever! my daughter chimed in.
Week after week, I write this Simple Sundays series and yet, I still have to remind myself to K.I.S.S.
Keep it Simple…and Sweet.
I have been playing around with homemade brownie recipes in search of the simplest and the sweetest. This stack of chocolate goodness is fudgy and rich, light while satisfyingly dense. It doesn’t need frosting. It doesn’t need glaze. It doesn’t need nuts. It doesn’t even need ice cream (although I certainly won’t argue with you if you place a dollop on top). All it needs is for you to make it…and eat it.
Go ahead. Give yourself a kiss. One bite of these brownies, and I bet your family will be giving you kisses too.
Love these brownies? Here are more homemade brownie recipes to try!
K.I.S.S. (KEEP IT SIMPLE AND SWEET) BROWNIES
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips divided
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350°F with a rack in the center of the oven.
- Prepare an 8×8″ baking pan by lightly spraying with cooking spray or greasing with butter. Line with parchment paper.
- In a medium saucepan, melt butter over medium heat and whisk in granulated and brown sugars. Lower heat and stir in buttermilk and 1/4 cup of the chocolate chips. Remove from heat and whisk in the eggs and vanilla.
- In a separate small bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Stir in the butter mixture until just combined.
- Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Pour into prepared brownie pan and spread evenly.
- Bake for about 25 minutes or until it begins to pull from the edges of the pan. It will still be a little gooey in the center.
- Remove from oven, cool completely (or at least until it is just lukewarm).
- Slice into 16 squares and serve.