Egg salad gets a healthy update — add extra protein and lessen the fat in this mayo-free recipe for Hummus and Tahini Egg Salad!
There were two things that made it an awesome-lunch-day when I was growing up: tuna salad and egg salad. I don’t know what it was about these sandwiches, but they were my absolute favorites. Never mind that my lunch probably stank up my book bag or the cafeteria — when my mom made me an egg salad sandwich, I was one happy kid.
More recently, egg salad sandwiches make rare appearances, despite the fact that it’s a childhood favorite. I blame the mayo, of course, but I decided to give my beloved egg salad a little makeover.
Taking inspiration from my veggie wraps, I mix up my eggs (sometimes with the yolk, sometimes without) with protein-rich hummus and flavorful tahini sauce, and give it a little more crunch with red onions and chives. Topped with slices of avocado, shredded carrot and sprouts, this old favorite is now new again!
And now that I have a tasty, lightened-up version, egg salad is back in my life again. I dare say, I like this better than the kind mom used to make!
I’ve been enjoying Hummus and Tahini Egg Salad in sandwiches, on crackers, in wraps, and even stuffed in avocados! It’s been perfect for post-workout lunches, or as the little me used to say, for an awesome-lunch-day.
HUMMUS AND TAHINI EGG SALAD
- 4 large eggs
- 1/4 cup hummus
- 2-3 tablespoons tahini
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped red onion
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped chives
- 1 teaspoon white balsamic vinegar
- kosher salt to taste
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- In a medium saucepan, cover the eggs with an inch of cold water. Bring the pan to a rolling boil, turn off heat, cover, and let the eggs sit for about 10 minutes. Rinse with cold water, and let it sit in cold water to cool.
- Peel and chop the eggs, and place in a bowl. Mix in the hummus, tahini, onions, chives and vinegar. Season to taste with salt and pepper.