This Piña Colada Green Smoothie turns your favorite green smoothie recipe into a fiesta in a glass! Try this pina colada smoothie for breakfast, as a mid-day pick me up, or for a little getaway with each sip!
Note: This recipe post was originally part of the Simple Sundays series and published on May 1, 2016. The recipe has been updated from the archives with updated content and photographs, as well as improved kitchen notes and recipe annotation. I hope you enjoy this favorite from my kitchen.
When you’re craving a taste of the tropics, and a trip just isn’t in the cards, I have just the thing for you: a Piña Colada Green Smoothie!
Imagine your favorite green smoothie and piña colada joining forces, and you’ve got a vacation in a glass, even when real life beckons.
You know how smoothies are just part of our every day! Lately, my son has been loving pineapple smoothies every day after school, and after I make his, I’ll make myself a Piña Colada Green Smoothie. It’s my little mini-vacation in the middle of the day, even if it’s missing the rum (though I won’t tell if you decide to add some!).
How To Make A Piña Colada Green Smoothie
This pińa colada green smoothie couldn’t be easier to make. Frozen pineapple makes it frosty, coconut milk gives it that creamy decadence, the fresh banana makes it sweet and creamy, and sweet spinach gives it a healthy boost! Just a few seconds in the blender is all you need for this delicious green smoothie recipe.
- Place the coconut milk, spinach, banana and pineapple in a blender.
- Blend until smooth. Sweeten with honey or agave nectar if necessary.
- Pour into a glass and enjoy immediately!
If You Love the Pineapple in This Piña Colada Green Smoothie and Want More Pineapple Recipes, Don’t Miss These!
Grilled Tempeh and Vegetable Skewers with Habanero Pineapple Sauce
Banana Pineapple Cake
Pineapple Upside Down Cake Doughnuts
Pineapple Smoothie Bowl
Banana Pineapple Mini Bundt Cakes
Ginger Pineapple Upside Down Cake by Bojon Gourmet
More Smoothie Recipes to Try
Piña Colada Green Smoothie
- 1 cup light coconut milk
- 1 cup fresh spinach leaves
- 1 ripe banana
- 1 1/4 cups frozen pineapple chunks
- 1-2 tablespoons agave nectar optional
- Place the coconut milk, kale/spinach, banana and pineapple in a blender in this order. Sweeten with agave nectar if necessary.
- Blend until smooth. Enjoy immediately.
Pina Colada Green Smoothie Tips
- The frozen pineapple determines how frosty this smoothie is! Make sure it is frozen to make it cool and refreshing! If your pineapple is a little defrosted, you may need to add more pineapple to thicken the smoothie.
- If you find that your smoothie is too thick and is not blending easily, gradually add a touch more coconut milk to help it along.
- Light coconut milk (canned) gives it a delicious, coconut flavor. See notes on coconut milk below.
What kind of coconut milk should I use?
- Canned light coconut milk is perfect in this smoothie, making it rich and full of coconut flavor.
- My preference is light coconut milk, but if you have a can of full-fat coconut milk on hand, simply make your own light coconut milk by mixing 1 part full-fat coconut milk or two-parts water (or less, if you want a decadent smoothie).
Can I add alcohol to this pina colada smoothie?
- For a grown-up twist, feel free to give it a shot of coconut rum! You can also use your favorite light- or dark-rum.
What other greens can I use in this green smoothie recipe?
- I love using spinach because it adds natural sweetness to the smoothie.
- Kale is also a wonderful choice, adding extra nutrients to the smoothie.