A recipe for Watermelon Lime Margaritas. Cool off with this refreshing margarita full of fresh watermelon, tangy lime and of course, tequila.
I guided the car up the hair pin turns, each curve of the road treating us to sweeping views of the valley below. It’s a drive that you make with care, and you can’t get too distracted by the gorgeous views, thanks to bold cyclists and the lack of a guardrail separating you from the drops below. There was a time we used to drive up this local mountain a lot – we knew those twists and turns intimately – and we would camp there with the kids when they were tiny. But now that years have passed since the last time we drove to the summit, I found myself both tentative and in awe, all over again.
One of the wonderful things about having my mother in law over for a visit is getting to play tourist in my own town. When your days are filled with shuttling around to all the familiar places, it’s a treat to explore with fresh eyes. This week, we wandered through shops in our adorable downtown, sipped on smoothies as we strolled, and took in the views from above the low lying clouds on Mt Diablo to our sleepy valley below, the still-green hills reaching as far as our eyes could see.
All this time outside has made me eager for summer. We’re about half way through our landscaping project here at the new house, and I can’t wait until we can dust off the grill and eat our meals outdoors again. Summer is tempting me, and I decided to take the matter into my own hands by making these Watermelon Lime Margaritas.
Fresh watermelons don’t last long at our house – my son can singlehandedly devour one all by himself – so I bought two the other day. The slices of sweet watermelon disappeared quickly, but I set some aside to make these margaritas. Sipping on them brought summer just a little bit closer. It will be here before we know it. I can just taste it.
How to Make Watermelon Lime Margaritas
Making Watermelon Lime Margaritas is easy! Fresh watermelon takes a whirl in the blender with lime juice to get things started. The mixture is strained and then added into a shaker with ice cubes and tequila. Serve in a glass rimmed with a little lime juice and salt. Summer has arrived.
More Summer Beverage Recipes
Watermelon Lime Margaritas
- 1/4 cup kosher salt
- 2 limes
- 2 cups diced watermelon
- 3 tablespoons agave nectar to taste
- 4 ounces tequila
- 1 ounce Cointreau
- 1 cup ice cubes
- watermelon slices for serving
- lime slices for serving
- Place kosher salt in a saucer. Prepare a glass by slicing one lime in half and rubbing the cut edge over the rim of the glass. Lightly dip it into the salt.
- Juice the limes and pour the juice into a blender. Cut the rind of the juiced limes into smaller pieces and put it into a cocktail shaker. Pour the agave nectar into the shaker and use a muddler to squeeze the limes for a minute. Pour the juice through the shaker strainer into the blender. Discard the solids.
- Add the watermelon to the blender and blend until smooth. Strain the juice into the shaker.
- Pour tequila, Cointreau and ice cubes into shaker, cover and shake vigorously for 30 seconds. Pour through the strainer into prepared glass. Serve immediately, garnished with a watermelon and lime slice.