The Avocado Veggie Sandwich is the ultimate avocado vegetable sandwich, piled high with smashed avocado and chickpeas, tomato, cucumber, carrots, artichokes, and feta cheese!
This is a sponsored post written by me on behalf of Calavo Growers. All opinions are 100% mine.
You might say I’m a creature of habit, at least when I’m home. When I’m out and exploring, I thrive on trying new and exciting foods, but things are different when I settle into the predictability of routine. At least when it comes to lunch.
Lunches, for me, are simple. In true California fashion, my mid-day cravings center around my beloved avocado. Give me perfectly ripe, creamy avocados and fresh veggies, and I am pretty content.
I may make a wrap or a tartine (avocado toast, anyone?). And when packing lunches for the kids, I’ll make a batch of veggie sandwiches for all. One and done, as they say! I know that making lunch en masse is not just a timesaver or a means to satisfy a craving but a delicious way to enjoy more fresh veggies – for all of us!
Thankfully my kids agree. Even if I’m not around to make my daughter a veggie sandwich, she likes to make it herself.
So, what’s in the ultimate avocado veggie sandwich? Well, we can’t have an avocado sandwich without bread. A crusty loaf of sourdough or a rustic, homemade loaf are my first picks. But really, any sturdy bread will do. A hearty multigrain or whole wheat bread also works nicely.
And then, of course, there are the avocados!
In this installment of my partnership with Calavo, I am so excited to use their avocados in this recipe. Their Haas avocados are perfectly creamy and a flavorful base for the sandwich filling.
How to Make an Avocado Veggie Sandwich
Lightly scoop the fruit of the avocado into a bowl and gently mash it with a fork, leaving it chunky. Stir in your chickpeas, kosher salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes, and give the beans a mash with your fork.
Spread a generous layer of avocado mash on a slice of bread and a layer of hummus on another. Give the avocado mash a very light drizzle with good quality olive oil.
Layer the avocado mash with sliced cucumber, shredded carrots, marinated artichoke hearts, and a slice of tomato. Season with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, and sprinkle with feta cheese and sprouts. Top with the hummus-spread slice of bread.
More avocado recipes
More sandwich recipes
Chickpea Salad Sandwich with Feta
Thai-Style Chicken Salad Rainbow Wraps
Slow Cooker Bánh Mì Vietnamese Sandwich
Olive Brined Chicken Sandwich with Olive Tapenade
Slow Cooker Filipino Adobo-style Pulled Pork Sandwiches
Hummus and Tahini Egg Salad
Disclosure: This post was created in partnership with Calavo. Thank you for supporting brands that matter to me; sponsored posts such as this help behind the scenes at Kitchen Confidante. All opinions in this post are, as always, my own.
Avocado Veggie Sandwich
Quick Pickled Red Onion
- 1/3 cup rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup red onion thinly sliced
- 1 Calavo avocado pitted and peeled
- 1/2 cup canned chickpeas rinsed and drained
- kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
For the Sandwich and Toppings
- 4 slices bread
- extra virgin olive oil for drizzling
- hummus for serving
- sliced cucumber for serving
- shredded carrots for serving
- marinated quartered artichoke hearts chopped, for serving (see notes)
- quick pickled onions
- alfalfa sprouts for serving
- feta cheese for serving
Make the Quick Pickled Red Onion
- In a small glass bowl, stir together the vinegar, water, sguar, and salt until the sugar and salt have dissolved.
- Stir in the sliced onion, and let it sit at room temperature for at least 30 minutes, but preferably for 1 hour.
- Serve immediately or keep refrigerated for future use. The onions will keep for up to 2 weeks.
Make the Avocado-Chickpea Smash
- Lightly scoop the avocado into a bowl and gently mash it with a fork, leaving it chunky. Stir in the chickpeas, kosher salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes, and give the beans a mash with your fork.
Make the Avocado Veggie Sandwich
- Spread a generous layer of avocado mash on a slice of bread and a layer of hummus on another. Very lightly drizzle the avocado mash with olive oil.
- Top the avocado mash with a slice of tomato, sliced cucumber, shredded carrots, marinated artichoke hearts, quick pickled onions, alfalfa sprouts and a sprinkling of feta cheese. Top with the hummus-spread slice of bread.
- This recipe will yield extra pickled onions; I love keeping a batch handy to add a pop of flavor to any dish! Try it on Spicy Fish Taco Bowls with Cabbage Slaw, Thai-style Shrimp Bowls, Oven-Fried Crispy Shrimp Tacos with Quick Pickled Cabbage, and more!
- I love the flavor, but marinated artichoke hearts can make this sandwich a little more challenging to eat. Consider chopping the artichoke hearts before adding to the sandwich. If you choose to omit them, that is fine, too!