We all know rhubarb is amazing in sweet desserts, but you’ll love it even more in a savory Rhubarb-Wine BBQ Sauce! Put it on ribs, grilled chicken, and more!
I’m not sure whether or not to feel badly for my beloved rhubarb. On the one hand, it is well loved – adored, even – in all kinds of sweet goodies. I think by now you know how much I love rhubarb. From cakes to compotes to everything in between, I’m afraid the season doesn’t last long enough for me to play with one of my favorite ingredients.
On the other hand, rhubarb has been typecast, wouldn’t you agree? Sometimes I wonder what it thinks – that is, if it could think. Maybe it wishes, “I just want to be like all the other vegetables!” or perhaps, “I’m tired of being cooked up in sweet dishes!”
Well, my dear rhubarb, I hear you. You deserve to be understood as multifaceted, appreciated for both sweet and savory.
The grilling bug has bitten – and along with it, a craving for ribs and a new savory bbq sauce to love. Rhubarb’s natural tanginess works brilliantly in this Rhubarb-Wine BBQ Sauce, tempered by sweet wine and a spicy kick from the spices. According to my husband, it’s his favorite of the bbq sauces I have made, and I think you might just agree. Try it on baby back ribs, grilled chicken, whatever comes off the grill.
And save a few stalks – because, there should be some rhubarb cake for dessert.
Summer is just around the corner, and May’s Eat Seasonal roundup, organized by Becky of Vintage Mixer, is all about transitioning from spring. Join us and our friends as we share dishes that embrace eating seasonal! Check out the May Seasonal Produce Guide and these recipes for more #EatSeasonal inspiration.
Rhubarb-Almond Cake by Floating Kitchen
Kale, Mushroom & Goat Cheese Quesadillas by Cookin’ Canuck
Skinny Pineapple Mint Margaritas by Mountain Mama Cooks
Shaved Asparagus Ricotta Flatbread by Flavor the Moments
Roasted Broccoli and Bacon Crustless Quiche by Completely Delicious
Lemon Roasted Artichokes by Letty’s Kitchen
Rice Bowls with Quick Pickled Ginger Red Cabbage by Food for My Family
Rhubarb Eton Mess with Coconut Whipped Cream by Vintage Mixer
WONDERING WHAT TO MAKE WITH LEFTOVER RHUBARB? TRY THESE RECIPES TOO!
Rhubarb Wine BBQ Sauce
- 2 cups rhubarb chopped
- 3/4 cup white wine I used a Chardonnay, but a Sauvignon Blanc would be nice, too
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper to taste
- 1/3 cup shallots diced
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, stir together the rhubarb, honey, wine and balsamic vinegar. Bring to a boil, then lower heat to a simmer, and cook until the rhubarb has softened, about 5 minutes. Add the red pepper flakes, cayenne pepper (add in increments if you are sensitive to spice), shallots and garlic and let it cook for about 5-7 minutes more. Transfer to a blender and blend until smooth. An immersion blender also works. Pass the sauce through a sieve and return to the saucepan and return to the heat.
- Season the sauce with salt and pepper, and continue simmering the sauce until it has thickened, about 10 minutes. Adjust seasoning if necessary. Remove from heat and let it cool; it will thicken as it sits. The sauce may be used right away or stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator after cooling completely.