This Southwestern Turkey Burger recipe combines flavorful ground thigh meat, either fresh or frozen corn, pickled jalapenos, red onion, and lots of southwestern spices to create a juicy turkey burger you’re thrilled to eat. Throw it on the grill (or have a friend do the honors) and enjoy with your favorite burger toppings!
How many of you ladies like to grill? You surely know by now that I love it, and while I usually hand off the responsibility of firing up the beast to my hubby, I do find the whole cooking outdoors thing to be lots of fun. The other night, I grilled a hunk of Tri Tip and posted it on Instagram with the caption “Womaning the grill with a Santa Maria Tri Tip.” Looking back on other outdoor eats in my Instagram feed, I realized that I’m rarely the one “manning” the grill, whether it’s sizzling sausages or juicy burgers.
I’m not going to suggest a Take Back the Grill movement, but I will say that once in a while, it is a lot of fun to take over flipping the meat on the grill. Besides, I love the partnership with my husband when it comes to outdoor cooking – although I will admit, he might just be better at it than I am. (But my Tri Tip the other night came out pretty awesome, if I don’t mind saying so.)
How to Make a Delicious Turkey Burger
Let’s talk turkey burgers today, shall we? The first time I had one, it was sort of so-so. My preference for a long time has always been a juicy beef burger. But, when I first tried these Southwestern Turkey Burgers, I came pretty close to converting. What gives it that extra oomph is finely chopped pickled jalapeños, which I have taken to putting on nearly everything. The tangy spice from the pickled peppers, combined with corn kernels and a little southwestern kick in moist turkey thigh meat makes it an easy burger that I can enjoy a wee bit more, knowing it is lean, protein rich, and tasty to boot.
The only thing left is to figure out your fixin’s. This is how I like mine: stacked high with plenty of cheese, red onion, tomato, lettuce, and avocado. How about you?
Pairs Well with…
Less Traditional Burgers
Southwestern Turkey Burgers
Turkey Burger Ingredients
- 1 1/2 pounds ground turkey thigh meat
- 1/2 cup corn kernels fresh or frozen
- 1/2 cup chopped pickled jalapeño peppers
- 1/4 cup minced red onion
- 1 tablespoons chile powder
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 1/2 teaspoons course salt
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 4 hamburger buns
- red onion
- preferred condiments: ketchup, mustard, etc.
- Preheat the grill to medium heat.
- In a large bowl, combine the turkey, corn, pickled jalapeño, red onion, chile powder, garlic, salt and cumin – try not to overwork the meat.
- Gently form into four patties and press the center of each gently with your fingers to help the turkey burgers cook evenly.
- Cook the turkey burgers directly over the heat, with the lid closed, for about 10 minutes, flipping once.
- Serve on a toasted bun with desired garnish.