Having leftover chicken, whether from Sunday’s roast chicken or a rotisserie chicken you picked up at the store, is like a gift when you’re busy cooking for a family. Transform yesterday’s leftover chicken into something new and exciting! Here are 15 easy leftover chicken recipes, from pasta to pizza, soup, chili, & more!
I love that you can reimagine chicken into so many new dishes; there’s no reason to sulk at leftovers or feel uninspired! These are the recipes I turn to when I have leftover chicken – many of them clearly call for leftover or precooked chicken, while some of them can easily accommodate leftover chicken, making prep and cooking even faster.
Leftover Chicken Recipes with Pasta
This recipe for Soba Noodles and Chicken with Spicy Peanut Sauce is made with ingredients you most likely already have stocked in your pantry! It’s great for those days when you know you need to go food shopping and haven’t had the time, or when you need to clean out the vegetable bin.
Chicken Mushroom & Corn Tetrazzini a delicious way to use up leftover roast chicken, whether it’s from the oven, slow-cooked, or store-bought rotisserie.
Chicken Soups and Stews
Soups and stews are always a go-to when you have leftover chicken — simply throw it into a bubbling broth and dinner becomes something new and comforting!
This quick chili comes together even faster when you have leftover chicken at the ready!
Creamy Rotisserie Chicken and Wild Rice Soup come together in a snap with your leftover rotisserie chicken!
Roasted tomatillos and jalapeños warm you from the inside with this simple recipe! With leftover chicken, you can whip up this reader favorite even faster!
Homemade spaetzle is such a treat and so cozy with this chicken soup! Toss in shredded leftover chicken and save time!
A simple soup that makes for easy cooking mid-week, the best part is that half the work is already done for you.
Pho in half an hour? With this faux pho and leftover chicken, you can make it even faster!
Chicken Sandwich Recipes
When you have leftover chicken, there’s nothing better than a chicken salad sandwich! You’ll love these flavorful and healthy takes on chicken salad!
Thai-Style Chicken Salad Rainbow Wraps are full of crunch and flavor, all wrapped in healthy rainbow chard!
This Green Apple Chicken Salad is not only Mayo Free and healthier, it’s loaded with extra crunch and freshness!
Leftover Chicken Salad Recipes
Of course, you can throw some shredded chicken into a healthy salad! It’s a great way to keep mealtimes light and fresh!
Zucchini Noodles with Chicken and Tangy Peanut Sauce is a healthy weeknight meal the entire family will love!
Chicken, Black Bean and Charred Poblano Salad with Pumpkin-Red Curry Vinaigrette is bold and flavorful! The dressing is also a great way to use leftover pumpkin.
If you’ve got some shredded roast chicken on hand, why not make it pizza night!? Whip up home made dough or use storebought — either way, it’ll make the whole family happy!
Chicken Pesto Pizza bakes in a snap, thanks to freezer-friendly shortcuts and leftover chicken!
What’s more cozy than chicken pot pie? I like to keep puff pastry on hand to make it easy and fast!
This fragrant White Chicken Curry Pot Pie with puff pastry lends an Indian twist to classic comfort food. To make it with leftover chicken, I would toss the chicken into the creamy potato and carrot sauce, a real time saver.
Simple Leftover Chicken Recipe: Spicy Chicken Soba Noodles with Peanut Sauce
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1/3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar or lemon juice
- 1/2 cup hot or boiling water
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes or sriracha to taste
- 1 teaspoon sugar to taste
- 8 oz soba noodles
- 1 roasted or poached chicken breast shredded
- 4 scallions trimmed and chopped
- 1/2 English cucumber quartered and chopped
- 4 radishes thinly sliced
- 1/2 red bell pepper thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup cilantro chopped
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds
- Combine the peanut butter, sesame oil, soy sauce, vinegar or lemon juice, hot water, garlic, ginger, red pepper/sriracha, and sugar in a small bowl and whisk well to combine. This can also be prepared in a blender or a food processor. If you need to adjust the consistency of the sauce so that it is thinner, add more hot water, 1 tablespoon at a time.
- Bring a large pot of water to a rolling boil and salt it. Cook the soba noodles, according to package instructions (about 6 minutes). When the noodles are cooked, drain the noodles. Toss the noodles in the peanut sauce, along with the vegetables and chicken (if using).
- Garnish with cilantro and sesame seeds. Serve warm or cool. If preparing as a cold salad, refrigerate and serve cold.
I love making this pot pie with leftover Thanksgiving turkey, but there’s no reason you can’t make this with leftover roast chicken! Substitute the pumpkin for whatever squash you have on hand.